Netanyahu accuses Iran for boat attack, says ‘striking’ back

Spread the love

IslamNews – Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused arch-foe Iran on Monday of a recent attack on an Israeli-owned ship, noting his country was “striking back” the morning after a raid on Syria.

The latest escalation between the sides came as the international community was trying to salvage the troubled 2015 nuclear deal with Iran.

“It is indeed an Iranian act, that’s clear,” Netanyahu told public broadcaster Kan, referring to the MV Helios Ray, which was last week hit by a blast in the Gulf of Oman leaving two holes in its side.

“Iran is Israel’s greatest enemy, I’m determined to block it, we’re striking at it throughout the region,” he said.

Netanyahu’s remarks came hours after Syrian air defences intercepted what they said were Israeli missiles over Damascus.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based war monitor, said the strike hit the area of Sayyida Zeinab south of Damascus.

The Israeli army had refused to confirm its involvement in the attack, which came days after the Thursday explosion that hit the Israeli-owned MV Helios Ray, a vehicle carrier travelling from the Saudi port of Dammam to Singapore.

It was not clear what caused the explosion, which punctured the boat’s hull but did not cause any casualties among the crew or damage to the engine.

Source: France24

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *